Sunday, July 5, 2009

Honking

Honk. Honk Honk. Hooooonnnnnkkkkkk!!!! Honkhonkhonk. What kind of honker are you? I think the only times I ever hear people honk in the U.S. is when either:

1) you're angry (angry, loud, long honk)
2) letting someone know that the light turned green (friendly honk) or
3) you want to say Hi to someone (couple short friendly honks).

That's it. 3 types of honks. That's all there is.

Nope, not in Barbados. There are so many different horns, honks, types of honks, duration of honks, and length of honks. Here are times when Bajans honk:

  1. say hello
  2. pass by
  3. asking pedestrians if they need a ride (mostly vans)
  4. to pass another car
  5. before going on a blind corner
  6. before making any turn in any intersection
  7. if slowing or stopping
  8. to get someone's attention
  9. anger
  10. just because you feel like it
I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of right now. I never knew there were so many reasons to honk. It's ridiculous. Every reason has a slightly different honking sound, whether it's short, long, multiple, or even musical. I know that when I'm back in the U.S. I might miss some of the honking and may even start using the Bajan honks...just for fun.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome. It reminds me of Mozambique. So are you in N.Y. now? I am meeting up w/ Al tomorrow. We are in Utah for the week. Wish I could see you! Hope all is wonderful. LOVES!

    ReplyDelete