Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Where in the world should Brea go next?

At 27 and single, I feel that it is my duty and privilege to travel the world. I was counting up my states and countries I've visited, and I realized that for the first time in my adulthood my state list is longer. That needs to change.

States I've visited (not including airports)
  1. Washington
  2. Oregon
  3. Idaho
  4. Utah
  5. Wyoming
  6. Montana
  7. California
  8. Nevada
  9. Texas
  10. Virgina
  11. District of Columbia (it counts)
  12. New York
  13. Pennsylvania
  14. Arizona
  15. New Jersey (I drove through it, so I guess I need to count it)
  16. Maryland (Liz reminded me we went there together)
Countries I've visited
  1. United States
  2. Canada
  3. Germany
  4. Austria
  5. Switzerland
  6. Italy
  7. The Vatican (like DC, it counts)
  8. Ukraine
  9. Poland
  10. Mozambique
  11. Barbados
  12. South Africa (I have a stamp in my passport, but didn't really visit)
As the list shows, I need to add some more countries. To remedy this, I have decided to work on planning another trip. I have opportunities and reasons to go, now it's just all about funding. Here are some of my options.


Germany: visit Oma and other relatives. I know Oma would love to see me and I would love to see her. A visit to Oma also means a visit to Switzerland, Germany, and many other places as well. I'm looking at going north this time and seeing northern Germany and Denmark.


Cape Town, South Africa: I have just started my graduate project which is analyzing qualitative data from a hygiene project that has been going on in Cape Town for the past few years. As of now, I'm doing the analysis in Provo, but I'm sure I could come up with a reason to go to S. Africa for further research.

Sweden: After visiting Oma, I would like to travel with Alison up to Sweden where her family will be living for a month or so this summer. I think it's important to do family history and I know that we have Swedish roots. From Northern Germany and Denmark, Sweden is just a hop, skip, and a jump, plus I have a place to stay and people to stay with. Alison also has some crazy plans in the works to hop over to England and Scottland to finish a bike ride she started years ago while on a study abroad in London. She wants me to come with and I want to go.

Peru: I started working on a project that would take me to rural Amazonian Peru to do research in a small village. I have a professor who would like me to go test a survey instrument that has been developed to assess a community's water, hygiene, and sanitation facilities. This project has been delayed for now, but if funding becomes available, then myself and 2 other MPH students who speak Spanish would come with me. And while in Peru, we can't miss Machu Picchu.

Any suggestions? Any other places I should consider for 2010? I'm thinking of adding Ukraine (after the Temple dedication sometime in 2010) and Hawaii. Happy Travels to me!


3 comments:

  1. Oooh, you had at "genealogy." Pick Sweden, and do an oral history interview with Oma before you go. Or even better, come to Texas. It's already on your list, but we could easily hop over to Arkansas in honor of...the Clintons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to add Maryland to the list of states. We visited the DC temple and it is in Maryland.

    ReplyDelete