Saturday, June 13, 2009

Start of Hurricane Season


My attempt at capturing the pouring rain


Notice the palm tree...and the wind

June 1 marks the beginning of hurricane season in the islands. The season goes from June 1-Nov 1. Fortunately, Barbados is outside the main hurricane belt and hasn't seen a destructive hurricane since 1954. Let's hope that trend continues through 2009. As it is hurricane season, we should expect to see lots of rain and maybe a few tropical storms. Barbados is such a small island that often times the high winds from the storm blow the rain clouds over very quickly and the storm moves back out to sea. Yesterday we saw the ominous dark clouds coming and before we could get ready, the rain blasted down coming in a sideways direction. I ran quickly to my room to shut the windows, but not before the rain had soaked my bed and sprayed my computer which both were sitting about 2-3 feet from the window. By the time I got the windows shut, the rain had pretty much passed by. I don't mind the 5 minute storms, but I don't want to be out walking when they occur...they are hard, fast, and furious. And usually you would be grateful for a little rain to cool things down, well not here, it brings the heat up from the ground and makes it even muggier...but there is that great smell of rain when you can smell the earth. The pictures above are attempts at capturing the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment