Tuesday, May 25, 2010

AED: Center for Health Communication

With graduation a month ago, I've been putting a lot of time into finding a job. Well the hard work has paid off and I will be starting an internship June 7 at AED Center for Health Communication (http://chc.aed.org/). It's a 4 month paid internship with a possibility of being hired after that time. The internship is survey and evaluation research on a government funded project to figure out how to create better jobs to help low income people break the poverty cycle. The work involves data entry, data cleaning and analysis, survey collection, report generating (super exciting and glamorous stuff--but hey, we all have to start somewhere). It's actually quite miraculous how I landed this job, here's the story...

A professor emailed me about 2 weeks ago about an internship opportunity in DC. She knew the contact of the person looking for an intern and since it was in DC, she forwarded it onto me. I went ahead and emailed the originator of the email and attached my resume. Last Thursday I got a phone call from a lady at that organization that had seen my resume and wanted to talk to me about an internship. It's not exactly public health, but the organization does work on lots of public health projects and different departments are more public health focused. The internship is in the survey and evaluation department. The lady, Rose Ann, gave me a ton of information and pretty much offered me the job on the spot. I was leaving for San Francisco later that afternoon and I told her I was going out of town and would be back on Monday.  She asked me to decide by Tuesday if I was interested. 

The weekend was super fun and relaxing, but I spent a lot of time thinking about the internship and if I should take it. I've wanted to go to DC for awhile, but this was a lot faster than I was expecting. Well, I came back from California thought some more, and Tuesday I accepted the job. Since then I have been madly searching for a place to live in DC and to sell my contract here in Provo. It's been a miraculous past 2 weeks and I think I have a place to live for the summer and I sold my Provo contract yesterday! I found places to stay before I can move in and everything seems to be rolling along. It really has been incredible and it's amazing how fast everything has come together. My head is still spinning and I'm excited and nervous and busy and trying to get my Provo life wrapped up, but I know it will all come together.

Countdown until the move: 10 days

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the job! I'm very proud of you--this is going to be such a great experience for you! Eat one of those amazing quesadillas from Guru's for me before you leave Provo.

    I am also SO excited for you to move a little closer to me. Remember, chocolates on your pillow every night when you come visit me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SOOO excited! At least for the 3 weeks we'll be close! I'm glad everything has worked out so well! I'll be there at the airport with a sign and everything!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Brea! That is really neat. So glad you got that job and that you will be able to experience more of the East Coast. You'll be by Liz too! So great. I wish you the best. Congratulations on your MPH! You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete