Saturday, February 12, 2011

New Job

I got a new job!!! Ok, I got the job 3 months ago, but it's still pretty new. Being a workin' woman is tough--tight schedules, 8 hour days, sitting at desk, paychecks coming in...it's rough.  Anyway, after months of sending in cover letters, online applications, informational interviews, and hundreds of emails, I finally got offered a job!

I am a Program Assistant at the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) in the office of Health, Infectious Diseases, and Nutrition. The title is a little fuzzy, but it's actually pretty cool and exactly where I wanted to be. When I started the MPH program, I had the goal of working for USAID. It is one of the premier development agencies in the world. My role is to help manage grants for the World Health Organization (WHO) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). I don't have any real decision making responsibilities, but I get to read all the proposals that come in for various activities (TB work, HIV/AIDS programs, water and sanitation, childhood vaccines, malaria programs, and other health activities). It's pretty interesting.

In addition to my main responsibility I'm also on the country team for Nicaragua and am on the gender team for the bureau. I don't really know exactly what my role on that team will be, but gender is a significant issue and I'll be meeting with representatives from the other offices and bureaus (education, health, democracy, humanitarian assistance, agriculture, etc).

The job is starting slow and I have plenty of time on gchat, but I'm thrilled to have a job and be starting my career as a public health professional.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Brea! What a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cool! I mean seriously, USAID!?! Remember us little state employees when you're off saving the world! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so awesome brea! i've been wanting to hear more about your job! rich and I agree that is definitely the position to be in to be saving the world! you are amazing! love ya and miss you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel special just knowing you. Um...why are we not gchat friends? What the heck?

    Add me: brittneymaxfield@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete