Saturday, February 5, 2011

26.2


The race of my life was actually 84 days ago. Since then I've received many complaints that my blog has become stagnant, so here's the update. And even though the race was months ago and I have limited pictures, I'm posting anyway...for friends and family...and because marathons are a  
BIG DEAL.

So without further ado...

On Saturday November 13, 2010 I completed the SunTrust Richmond Marathon. How was it you ask--AMAZING! I have never had a better time running; it was fun, hard, beautiful, perfect weather, long, totally insane, and incredible. Now maybe because it's 84 days later, I don't remember how hard it actually was, but I'm telling you it was awesome.

The race went much better than expected. All the hours and Saturday mornings spent running paid off and I had a great race. My time was not the fastest, but I finished in my goal range, I didn't walk, and only came out with mild soreness and one minor injury. The first 10 miles flew by and I felt really good. The weather was in the 40's to start and by the end it was in the 60's. So perfect. I ran next to rivers, across bridges, up some hills, through city, down in some valleys, and back on the streets of Richmond, VA. I ran the race with my running buddy, Traci and we kept each other going for all 26.2 miles. She had a pace keeping watch, so we knew how fast we were running the entire time. Miles 8-13 were probably the fastest pace and 24-26 weren't too shabby either. People warned me that as I got closer to finishing I might get emotional. Emotional?! From what I asked. Emotional from the training, hard work, realization of an accomplished goal, and the pure breaking down of the body. While some of those thoughts did cross as I passed the mile 25 marker and realized I was really going to finish this thing...no tears or uprising of emotions flowed. Instead, I just kicked it into gear and ran my fastest mile of the whole race. I guess it's still true that I'm just not an emotional girl. I don't think you have to cry to realize the enormity of finishing a marathon.

Saturday, November 13 was an awesome day.

Will I do it again???? I'm not saying yes, but I'm not saying no either.

Practicing crossing the finish line the night before the race. And if you're wondering what Traci and I are doing with our hands...we're just flashing our symbol. 2A

My cheering squad

I'll try to get more pictures. For now, you can check out a few pics online.
http://www.brightroom.com/view

5 comments:

  1. Hooray for a blog update! I know it was months ago, but I'm still very proud of you for finishing a marathon. You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy, Brea-z, and beautiful--you make running a marathon look fun! (I'm not fooled though) :) You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in awe. Congrats friend. Someday - something will make you cry (ha ha).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering what we were doing. 2 Awesome club. I get it. See you in a few weeks for a bonus run. Happy I've been able to have some B time lately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and BTW...we finished the race with the guy far left. What?????

    ReplyDelete