Sunday, January 15, 2012

Photo Dump Part 1: Palmyra and NYC

To my few faithful readers,

In an effort to catch up on my blog, I decided to just do a photo dump. As usual, I am months behind and have gone on several adventures in the past six months that are note worthy. Most of you know the stories, so I'll be brief with words and simply post the important stuff- the pictures. Of course those who know me best, know that verbal brevity has never been my strong suit, so be prepared for some story telling.

I have an unwritten standing goal of going somewhere once a month. I don't really plan it that way, but when I look back I realize that something "fun" occurs minimally monthly. Some people choose to spend time and money on books, cars, clothes, homes, crafts, food, etc. I choose to spend my resources on travels.

In September, a few friends and I decided that to celebrate Labor Day and my friend Steffany's birthday, we should go to Palmyra, NY. None of us had been and Palmyra is the early home of Joseph Smith and where the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized. Many marvelous events of the Restoration occurred here and it plays a significant role in Church History. With Palymra only a few hours away, we decided it was well worth the trip. That same weekend, Mike got assigned to attend business meetings (aka Table Tennis tournaments) in New York City, so quickly we decided to pit stop in NYC on the way there. The girls played in the city, while Mike worked.

 On the bus from New Jersey (hotel) into the city. This was our ride each way.

 For Steff's birthday, she really wanted to see this show, "How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying" I think mostly for Daniel Radcliffe, aka Harry Potter. After the show we waited for an hour for a chance to meet him, but alas he never came. Later we learned that he never greets fans after matinees.

 Times Square...need I say more?

If you look really really closely, you can see the Statue of Liberty. We didn't have time to take a ride to Ellis Island, but we watched the boats come in and out for a bit. It was a beautiful day in September!

From NYC, we drove onto Palmrya to stay at the Palmyra Inn. School had begun the week earlier, so I think we might have been their only guests. It was definitely owned by Mormons, since Ensigns were placed in the Lobby and rooms.

 Joseph Smith Farm with the Sacred Grove
This was a particularly special morning as we wondered around the Sacred Grove for at least an hour. The rain was falling slightly and each of us just walked our own path and pondered on what occurred in this sacred wood. I am grateful that a young boy decided to pray; it has changed my life and the world forever.


 Niagara Falls



No comments:

Post a Comment