Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Photo Dump Part 3: Brea's Birthday Bash in Boston (B^4)

Weekend in Boston! Going to Palmyra for Steff's birthday was so much fun, so we decided to go to Boston for mine! My parents flew out on Friday evening, and Saturday morning Mike, Steff, Whitney, Ally, and I were on an airplane to Boston. As this was my second time and everyone else's first, I let them take the reins in what we saw and did. It was a bit of a whirlwind trip, but I'll let the pictures tell the story.

 Cemetery where Paul Revere, Samuel Adams, and Mother Goose are buried

 Occupy Boston- their chants didn't make sense as "down with Verizon, no war, and I don't like banks" were all chanted simultaneously

 The town hall building (balcony) where the Declaration of Independence was read to the citizens of Boston. I love how historical buildings are mixed in with sky scrappers in Boston. History mingled with modernity--so great!

 We ran into a movie set (RIPD- to come out in 2013). Yes, that is Ryan Reynolds, People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive for 2010. My roommates were gaga for hours. I was less enamored, and cared more about  finishing the Freedom Trail, than watching the same scene filmed 40+ times. (though I do admit Mr. Reynolds is pretty attractive in person, but his stunt double is even more so!!!)

 Sunday afternoon in Lexington, where "the shot was heard around the world."
We enjoyed a beautiful day in Lexington, the weather was perfect, leaves were in full color, and I was surrounded by history. Lexington and Walden Pond might be my favorite parts of Boston

 Getting a birthday hug from a Red Coat!

 Harvard Square- touching the toe of John Harvard supposedly brings good luck. Why not try?

 Ahh Fenway! Someday I'll come to Boston when baseball is actually in season!

 Sailing on the Charles River
Yep, sailing! Ahoy, we sail! Whit's friend goes to MIT and students there can certify to take the sailboats out on the river. We all had a chance to hold the sail and steer the rudder. Sailing on the Charles was so fun and such a thrill!


 Siri sailed! (I got my iPhone for my birthday just a few days before, so she came everywhere with me, including sailing.)

After sailing, we took a tour of MIT. We saw some pretty cool labs. MIT is sure interesting and full of innovations and budding technologies. It was a bit science overload, but cool.

All in all, we had a great weekend! I still have to go back to see a game at Fenway, tour the USS Constitution, and run Heartbreak Hill--plus Mike's Pastry has some pretty good canolis!

Boston was just the beginning of birthday celebrations...Happy Birthday to me!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a way fun trip! And when did Mother Goose die?!? :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, are you intentionally tormenting me with all of these posts? My biggest complaint: you should have come to Boston while I lived there! :-) I completely agree with your comment about historical building mixed with skyscrapers--that was my favorite thing about Boston. But FYI, one of the first things we were told when we moved to Boston was NOT to touch John Harvard's toe. That pretty gold color comes from being peed on.... And next time you go, there's a fabulous pizza place by Mike's Pastries that is probably run by the Mafia, but is deliciously good. Lines out the door--we joke that it's like the soup nazi place from Seinfeld.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to you!!!

    Mother Goose, eh?? You look sooo happy Brea and so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. T- Love the comment. Yes, I did know about the toe being peed on, but as a public health professional, I had hand sanitizer on me and doused my hands in it. I think I'm safe. I'll have to check out the pizza place next time!

    ReplyDelete