Monday, January 16, 2012

Photo Dump Part 2: Mom and Dad visit DC

For federal employees (or contractors), Columbus Day is a wonderful holiday! As I might have been the only person with Columbus Day off, I thought it was a great weekend to have Mom and Dad come visit me in DC!!! It was both their first times to the Capital and we made it a great trip! Mom and Dad were troopers and walked all over this city. We went everywhere from Mt. Vernon to Gettysburg to the Monuments to the Capitol to the Temple and even Baltimore. Whew! What a trip! I absolutely loved having my parents come visit me and I think I even convinced them to come back.

 Mom with Abraham Lincoln at the Gettysburg Visitor Center


 Gettysburg Battlefield, view from Big Round Top

 Baltimore: Mt. Olivet Cemetery
Dad did some family history research before they came so we could locate some of the Didenhover relatives. The Didenhover originally hailed from Baltimore, MD before going west to Oregon and Washington. I don't remember the timeline, but I think we have Didenhover records dating to the 1700's in Baltimore and then the westward expansion occurred later. This picture shows 3 unmarked graves of Didenhovers. We spent a good amount of time trying to locate the graves based on cemetary maps. Luckily with modern technology (iPhone) and logical reasoning, we were able to locate the unmarked graves.

 Outside the Cemetery gates

 After doing family history, we decided to go the Inner Harbor at Baltimore. We enjoyed a gorgeous afternoon, sunny and warm in mid October!

Dad loves boats!!

Next stop was Arlington Cemetery, where we watched the Changing of the Guards. This picture is in the Memorial Amphitheater, which someday I will make a speech from.

 Dad in front of George Washington's tomb at Mt. Vernon, the 1st President's estate


 Washington's back porch overlooking the Potomac River. Gorgeous!!



 Mom and Dad before their Capitol Tour

 Every state provides two statues to the Capitol, one in the Statue Hall and another placed elsewhere in the building. Washington's statues were less than well known, so Mom and Dad got a picture with Brigham Young, representing Utah, of course.

 Birthday dinner with Mom, Dad, Mike, and Mike's mom

 Washington D.C. Temple. We were able to do a temple session together, which was wonderful!

 Dad at the White House
No White House tour this time, so I guess M&D have to come back

 Hope Diamond at the Natural History Museum



 WWII Monument, getting caught in a fierce DC Rainstorm

 Lincoln Memorial

Brea & Dad (two peas in a pod!)

Mom and Dad, I loved the visit!! Please come again soon. I promise it will be worth it!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I was cheering while reading this! I LOVED living in DC and this made me "homesick.". And hip hip hooray for the genealogy!

    PS. When you make your speech in the amphitheater, I'm there.

    ReplyDelete